Friendly Callers is a community-based, collaborative program that identifies older adults who are at risk of loneliness and/or isolation and will benefit from outbound calls from this program. Services provided during the calls include supportive listening, advocacy, safety-check-in, and connection to additional resources as needed. The line is intended to provide safety, connect and/or social phone calls to older adults that meet the program criteria.
Loneliness can exist even when an individual has an active social life and is surrounded by others. Social isolation means that the individual does not have a lot of social contact with others whether it’s related to mobility or health challenges, recent bereavement or other factors. Individuals can also be considered if they are older caregivers needing support with issues related to loneliness and social isolation due to caregiving demands.
Minimum of one, 2-4 hr weekly shift
The Volunteer will receive supervision and direction from the Manager of Supportive Response Services.
Role Description and Primary Responsibilities:
- Provide confidential supportive listening and information as necessary to older adults who have been referred or have self-referred to the program with the intention of meeting the following outcomes:
- Social contact with other people- increase connection
- Increase in feelings of value
- Increase in self-worth
- Establishment of meaningful connection
- Improvement in physical and emotional health
- General well-being and improvement of quality of life
- Prevention as safety concerns are identified early allowing for early intervention
- Assess and triage crisis calls when needed and link callers to Reach Out and the Crisis Response Line when necessary.
- Utilize a database and other resources to provide community referral information to participants
- Maintain accurate data collection and enter relevant information into the database.
Role Specifications and Required Qualifications:
- Current Vulnerable Person’s Sector Check.
- Sensitivity to the variety of issues that callers will be presenting with, including mental health and/or addictions.
- Some knowledge of mental health and/or addictions, CMHA Middlesex Programs & Services and community resources.
- Experience working with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Fluency in French, or another second language, would be an asset to this position.
Physical and Mental Requirements:
- Must be able to sit for a few hours at a time.
- Must be able to maintain a calm demeanor and stay focused in a changing environment;
- Must be able to steer conversations to remain appropriate, welcoming, safe, and non-judgemental.
If you are interested in volunteering with Friendly Callers at CMHA Elgin-Middlesex, please start by completing the Volunteer Application Form. Remember to let us know you are interested in joining the Friendly Callers team!
To learn more about our agency and the roles that volunteers play, please connect with our Volunteer and Student Placement Coordinator:
- Phone: 519-668-0624 x293
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org