On behalf of the 24/7 Support Line, we express a very sincere congratulations to Sofi Kotilehti, our recipient of the Fall/Winter “24/7 Support Line Volunteerism Scholarship!”
Sofi began volunteering with the Support Line this past summer. She is a graduate of Central Secondary School in London and is currently enrolled in her first year of a Bachelor of Arts degree at Kings University College, studying psychology, sociology and criminology. Sofi wishes to pursue a career as a psychologist and credits her volunteer role with providing her with valuable experience in the social services field.
Her involvement so far with Support Line has validated for her that this field is a great fit for her interests and skills. Prior to joining the Support Line as a volunteer, Sofi volunteered her time teaching children to speak Hungarian, at the London Food Bank, as a counsellor with Forest Cliff Camp, as an actor and usher with the Palace Theatre, and she was the Co-chair of the Smile Campaign at her former secondary school.
As Sofi has stated in her Support Line scholarship application essay: “Not only have I learned about various programs available in our community, but I have gained a deeper understanding of mental health and what it means to support those who may be struggling with it. I have received encouragement from the participants who tell me how they are noticeably less anxious, stressed or needed to chat with someone. This drives me to do better and learn what is helpful in various situations. Often, they just need to talk to another human being who respects, listens and ultimately supports them.”
As part of the scholarship requirements, Sofi will provide 80 consecutive volunteer hours to the Support Line, to be accomplished within a three-month cycle between November 1st, 2020 to April 30th, 2021. We wish Sofi much success as she achieves these requirements; and with her continued academic studies.
Background for the 24/7 Support Line Volunteerism Scholarship:
The CMHA Middlesex Volunteer Program receives significant support and enthusiasm from our general public. Several programs at CMHA Middlesex rely on the efforts of volunteers to operate; and volunteers enhance the services that the entire organization provides to participants through a variety of ways. Thanks to the generosity our organization receives through donated funds, a 24/7 Volunteerism Scholarship is offered to a current Support Line volunteer. The scholarship is a terrific pay-it-forward opportunity that allows us to enhance our Volunteer Program’s recognition capacities, while delivering quality empathetic listening services to our general public.
Scope of CMHA Middlesex 24/7 Support Line Volunteerism Scholarship:
Stream 1: Summer Scholarship Award:
- Qualifying volunteers must provide a minimum of 120 consecutive hours of volunteer service, to be provided between June 1 to August 31
- Amount of award is $750
Stream 2: Fall/Winter Scholarship Award:
- Qualifying volunteers must provide a minimum of 80 hours of volunteer service, to be provided between September 1 to April 30 and will be consecutively scheduled for 3 months
- Amount of award is $500
The application process includes:
- a) Eligibility: Full-time, post-secondary school students are eligible to apply. The scholarship will be offered to currently enrolled full-time students who demonstrate proof of enrolment for the upcoming school year/term, academic proficiency and a history of previous volunteer involvement.
- b) Application Process: To be considered for the scholarship, applicants must submit before the deadline:
- Transcript of academic record from the previous school term
- Proof of enrolment in the next school year/term
iii. Previous/current volunteer activities
- A 1000-word essay that outlines why the student should be considered; how the volunteer experience will enhance their future career goals and how furthering their understanding about mental health will directly contribute to a mentally well society.
Applications are reviewed and shortlisted by designated CMHA Middlesex staff; and shortlisted candidates are then invited to participate in a screening interview. The successful candidate will be notified in advance of the timeframe of which the requisite hours are to be completed, so that shifts can be scheduled in advance.
For more information about the 24/7 Support Line service, or the Volunteerism Scholarship, please contact the Volunteer Program Coordinator at email@example.com