On behalf of the 24/7 Support Line service, we express a very sincere congratulations to Nicole Singer, our recipient of the summer “24/7 Support Line Volunteerism Scholarship!”
Nicole has been volunteering with the service since September 2017. She has just completed her undergrad degree in Social Sciences at Western University, and will be entering Durham College in the fall to study Victimology. Nicole credits her time volunteering with CMHA Middlesex as an influence that has inspired her to pursue a career in mental health where she can continue to fulfil her passion of promoting resiliency, collaborative coping mechanisms, and knowledge of access to resources and community supports for those impacted by mental illness.
As Nicole has stated in her Support Line scholarship application essay: “Making a positive difference in people’s lives and assisting them in coping with the obstacles they face is not just something I want to do but is of paramount importance with regard to my future career. Thus far, I have learned more than I would have ever imagined in my volunteer experience as a Supportive Listening Line Volunteer. The last two and a half years with the Support Line have led me to pursue a path in which, through education in social work, I can further develop a theoretical understanding of what it means to work effectively with diverse populations, and translate this knowledge into facilitating meaningful change in the lives of individuals, families, and groups of people.”
As part of the scholarship requirements, Nicole will provide 120 volunteer hours to the Support Line between June 1st, 2020 and August 31st, 2020. We wish Nicole much success as she achieves these requirements; and with her continued academic studies this fall.
Background for the 24/7 Support Line Volunteerism Scholarship:
The CMHA Middlesex Volunteer Program receives significant support and enthusiasm from our general public. Several programs at CMHA Middlesex rely on the efforts of volunteers to operate; and volunteers enhance the services that the entire organization provides to participants through a variety of ways. This past summer, thanks to the generosity our organization received through donated funds, a 24/7 Volunteerism Scholarship initiative was piloted to our current Support Line volunteers. The scholarship is a terrific pay-it-forward opportunity that allows us to enhance our Volunteer Program’s recognition capacities, while delivering quality empathetic listening services to our general public.
Scope of CMHA Middlesex 24/7 Support Line Volunteerism Scholarship:
Stream 1: Summer Scholarship Award:
- Qualifying volunteers must provide a minimum of 120 hours of volunteer service, to be provided between June 1 to August 31
- Amount of award is $750
Stream 2: Fall/Winter Scholarship Award:
- Qualifying volunteers must provide a minimum of 80 hours of volunteer service, to be provided between September 1 to April 30 and will be consecutively scheduled for 3 months
- Amount of award is $500
The application process includes:
- a) Eligibility: Full-time, post-secondary school students are eligible to apply. The scholarship will be offered to currently enrolled full-time students who demonstrate proof of enrolment for the upcoming school year/term, academic proficiency and a history of previous volunteer involvement.
- b) Application Process: To be considered for the scholarship, applicants must submit before the deadline:
- Transcript of academic record from the previous school term
- Proof of enrolment in the next school year/term
iii. Previous/current volunteer activities
- A 1000-word essay that outlines why the student should be considered; how the volunteer experience will enhance their future career goals and how furthering their understanding about mental health will directly contribute to a mentally well society.
Applications are reviewed and shortlisted by designated CMHA Middlesex staff; and shortlisted candidates are then invited to participate in a screening interview. The successful candidate will be notified in advance of the timeframe of which the requisite hours are to be completed, so that shifts can be scheduled in advance.
For more information about the 24/7 Support Line service, or the Volunteerism Scholarship, please contact the Volunteer Program Coordinator at email@example.com